A LEADING UK BUSINESS ESTABLISHED 4 CENTURIES AGO, PROVIDES MAIL COLLECTION AND DELIVERY SERVICES THROUGHOUT THE UK.
• A leading UK business established 4 centuries ago.
• Provides mail collection and delivery services throughout the UK.
• Most of their business critical systems are based on Oracle and Teradata.
• The customer’s stakeholders across the UK depend on Business Intelligence reports based on Oracle data warehouses to make vital decisions.
• There is a high demand on these legacy systems annually during November and December.
CHALLENGES FACED BY
THE BUSINESS CLIENT
• Several users were complaining of high latency during peak usage times.
• Difficulty in staffing Oracle Database Administrators (DBAs) and System Administrators to maintain the ageing infrastructure (Oracle Exadata).
• High maintenance and excessive cost of Oracle licensing.
• High anticipated time and effort in order to upgrade the existing on-premise based critical systems.
• Data volumes increasing beyond control, reaching 40TB.
• The current system did not provide integrated identity management solutions.
• A change in corporate strategy was required to move towards cloud based solutions.
• An upgrade to Oracle Cloud could have been made but this didn’t provide a complete solution from a user’s perspective.
• Google cloud could have been an option but has ongoing costs and data storage occurs in a convoluted manner.
• The most viable option was to utilise Microsoft Azure Cloud. The platform as a Service (PaaS) met their needs, as hardware procurement and scaling can be achieved through a user-friendly portal.
• As part of our discovery process we looked at their existing Oracle database using Microsoft migration assistant.
• Initially, we utilized Data Lake Store to transfer Oracle data, stage some data and push forward the migration process.
By using the PowerBI app, with the Azure Data Warehouse as a reporting base, more contemporary and sleek dashboards and reports were produced for the client.
• We implemented Artificial Intelligence features available on Azure Cloud for performing predictive analysis and forecasting, an option previously unavailable to the client.
A FINAL WORD
FROM THE CLIENT
“We were able to meet our business needs faster. The solution was cost effective, saved us money and provides us with additional analytics that we could never have dreamed of if we hadn’t made the move.”
Chief Data Officer